Friday, May 21, 2010

Can you help find old Hungarian cities/towns around 1900-1910? Famliy was Romanian living in Hungary

Can you help find old Hungarian cities/towns around 1900-1910? Famliy was Romanian living in Hungary.?
The names used were Szatmazssadany and the other is Clatmar Neneth. This is how it is on ship manifests on EllisIsland.org I am assuming the names have changed and these may not be anywhere near the correct spelling. Next I'll be studying every city on an old map online in hopes something jumps out and bites me. I am getting nowhere with these city names AND my family name. If you know your stuff, hopefully I could contact you and maybe you can help with a little info about my family name too.
Genealogy - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You're sure they lived in TODAY'S Hungary? In the period you mentioned Transylvania(today it's a part of Romania) was part of Hungary although Romanians were the majority. If they lived in Transylvania those towns have Romanian names now; I googled it for you but I couldn't find towns with that name even in Romanian history.
2 :
I think I may have found your towns. I believe their names were Szatmarzsadany and Szatmar Nemeti. Go to this website: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/maps.htm Scroll down to 1907-1927 Hungarian County maps, click on the link and then go to the county of Szatmar. It will provide an old map of Hungary with both of these towns on it. They are very close together.





Read more discussions :

Search News