Saturday, November 21, 2009

Is hungary a nice place to live/visit

Is hungary a nice place to live/visit?
MY family came to America in 1908 form Hungary and I want to move back there or take like a 2 year hiatus from the US. I would like to know the price of living (both in US dollars and HUF) How lively the main cities are (probably will move to Budapest or Debrecen) What the culture is like, how the ladies are, cuisine, jobs and the language (only if you're an immigrant natives say its easy but i haven't heard from a migrant
Other - Europe - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
my cousin's wife is from budapest and she said its very nice there. i'll be there in may so i'll know for sure then
2 :
Economy not so good
3 :
I came to US from Hungary in the late 60's and I visit almost every year. My birth city is Debrecen, visited there 3 years ago. The price of living in Budapest is about in US, housing/ heat could be expensive, a nice 2 bedroom apartment to rent is about $800=160,000Ft. plus utilities. But, some of the more luxurious place could be $4000 or $5000/month. In Debrecen the rent is probably less. The people in Hungary are much more culture oriented then in US( theater, opera, movies, classical music, all kind of sports, museums, parks, travel to western and eastern Europe, pubs, evening schooling). The language is not easy to learn, because it is totally different then example german, italian or french. Buda ( western part of Budapest) has lot of foreign citizens living there. The hungarian food is very tasty, spicy. The grocery stores are full of a variety foreign foods ( german, french, spanish, italian) lots of fresh vegetables and tasty fruits, very good vine and beer, fantastic pastries. About ladies - guys telling me that hungarian girls are very friendly, beautiful and well educated.
4 :
So I go to Hungary almost every year because I am 1st generation American. First off, the language is very difficult to learn, I learned it because I was immersed into it because it is my parents first language. Honestly Hungary is far worse than living in the USA. It will be very very hard for you to find a job, they would first give jobs to citizens and many don't have jobs right now. It is about the same price to live there but you make significantly less money. Also I would be a bit worried about the new Government that has taken over, the Fidesz Party. I would really look over this and not make any quick decisions. I think it would probably be best for you to just visit for a couple of months and then see what it is like, if you like it, and if you can grasp the language.
5 :
I currently live in Hungary but I want to move to the USA as soon as possible. It's really hard for the average hungarian to make ends meet, many hungarians are unemployed and the country is full of job seekers, you, as an american citizen have no chance. Maybe you could work for a multinational corporation or work as a private english teacher, but again, it's extremely hard to get a job here. However, Budapest is beautiful and I really like this city, even though the streets are somewhat littered. The price of living is just about average but the salaries are really low, you'd probably make much less money than you do now yet your monthly expenses wouldn't change. As for ladies, we are just as beautiful as every other lady around the world:) I like hungarian cuisine but it's probably because my mother would always cook traditional hungarian dishes when I was a kid. Hungarian isn't hard for me, but I was brought up with the language. If you're good at languages in general it'll probably just rub off on you, that's the best way to learn hungarian as I don't think there are many rules to use the language by.





Read more discussions :

Search News