Friday, January 14, 2011

hungary

hungary....?
Hey guys i need your advice i intend to visit hungary this year ,but i am person of color i was just wondering is there racism in hungary ,are there skinheads ,i intend to visit debrecen ,as i intend t study there . i also need any relevant information (cost of living ,safety issues ,transport etc) all answers welcome thank you i really need your help.thanks
Other - Europe - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You can research the cost of living. transport and safty issues on-line I don't know the racism answer.Good luck have a blast and learn a lot and come back and teach me!!! really, have fun enjoy and stay safe!
2 :
As long as you don't tell them that you're American they will be cool. If they know you're American they will bicth about politics or take you hostage. Seriously. I'm typing this for my Turkish friend. He says to tell you to stay out of Turkey infidel. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 :
There is certainly more racism {at least toward blacks} in the U.S.A than anywhere in Europe {maybe except Finland and Russian - I've heard about some really shameful incidences with black people in those two countires}
4 :
Hi I am English and have lived in Budapest now for 5 years. I have never seen any cases of racism here. I also have not seen many "people of colour here", I think the ones who I have seen who live near me are Americans who have been posted here through work. Public transport is fantastic and the cost of living (ie food) is quite cheap. Running of home costs (gas, electric) are as in the UK. Never had any safety issues and have been out in the city at all hours. Like any capital city you will get the usual beggars and pick pockets etc. I have never been to Debrecen but I'm sure it's fine. I was watching a program about skin heads last week and Poland and Russia are the places to avoid
5 :
No racism, don't worry about it. Cost of living: transport is cheap, food is cheap, electrical stuff + others are from China and Japan so they have the global price :) Move to Debrecen, you'll like it a lot... Beautiful main square, small woods in the city, beautiful uni... And lots of bars! Debrecen is about as safe as the Great Barrier Reef. Or the likes of it.
6 :
Debrecen is literally the 2nd capital city of Hungary, a real uni-city (education is high-valued), it's known to be a beautiful and an improved one. Transport is ok, living there is cheap - Dbr is much cheaper than Budapest - you'll have to watch out for the average safety precautions, nothing else. I must admit that there's a bit of racism but not really against coloured people. Have a good time there.
7 :
I have studied in Hungary,and I know Debrecen very well.Yes,in every country in Europe you will find a right wing minority who puts hate above everything.I am sure Hungary has those people as well.I have never heard about skinhead related incidents in Debrecen.The University is very good,no problem with diversity,they have students from African-Middle Eastern countries.Cost of living is considered low compare to the big EU cities.You can rent a flat for $300/month + utilities. Public transportation is great,you will have special student rate to buy a monthly pass.Food is very affordable,they have nice grocery stores,mostly Hungarian food.If you don't eat pork,poultry is available.Safety issues: the city is not really famous about violent crimes,mostly pickpockets and thieves.Cars are vulnerable parked on the streets.In some areas I would never walk alone after dark.They have a vivid night life,the little pubs always filled with students.I don't think you will have any problem there being a person of color.Here is a link with some more info: http://www.ud-mhsc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=23&Itemid=44 Good Luck





Read more discussions :

Search News